CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 29, 2009

I do not like green....

rice and chicken! It’s not chicken boys (and yes, they had tasted it) it’s pork. Well…says Xavier, I do not like green rice. It can’t be rice..it’s green. I have NEVER had this dinner before! (I guess the boys think I am doing a good job trying new recipes….yeah, right!) Remember Green Eggs and Ham? “Try it! Try It! And you may. Try it and you may I say”!

Well they tried it and did NOT like it, but I sure did! I made Buttermilk Brined Pork Chops with Green Rice. The pork was just average and I won't make it again but the rice was good. Here is the recipe for Green Rice as it was written and I will tell you what changes I made.

Green Rice

1 small onion, peeled and quartered
2 pobalano chile peppers, deveined, seeded and quartered
1 cup fresh cilantro
3 garlic cloves
2 cups chicken broth, divided
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 T. vegetable oil

Process onion, chile pepper, garlic, cilantro and 1 cup broth in a blender until pureed; pour through a wire mesh discarding solids. Season with salt and pepper. Saute rice in hot oil in saucepan, over medium low heat, stirring constantly, 2 mins. Add onion mixture and remaining 1 cup broth. Cover and simmer 20 mins. Let stand 10 mins. before serving.

**I used only 1 pepper, used vegetable stock and did not strain the mixture…why throw away perfectly good veggies?? I used jasmine rice so did not need to cook as long. It was good and tasted a little like the Puerto Rican sauce called sofrito. I will definitely make it again and maybe just make plain rice for the boys. This recipe was again from the Creating a Stir cookbook.

It must have made quite an impression with Xavier because the first thing he said as he sat down to breakfast was, Wow, that green rice was horrible! Needless to say, there was no dessert

last night!
Here are come pictures from our ice storm.
The first picture was taken a few days ago when I thought the falling snow was pretty. The second was taken today... same spot.
The boys could not get over all the ice on the trees.The top of our tree broke off.
Look at how thick the ice is!
Well the boys may not like green rice but I do not like ice storms and water in the basement due to a backed up sump pump, but that is an entirely different post!!

0 comments: